Tuesday, February 12, 2008

What's a Yoko Ono?


I spent Friday home with my two kiddos >>>
Sam is 5 1/2 and Graeme just turned 4 Christmas Eve.
Yay - chicken fingers and fries!
Yay - I'm not at the office!
The Barenaked Ladies Greatest Hits CD is our lunch music. As I start cleaning up the table, Sam suddenly asks "What's a Yoko Ono?". The song was "Be My Yoko Ono". A great question, but where to begin? How much will a kindergarten guy understand?
"Ummmm....Yoko Ono was a person, not a thing. I mean, she's still a person....I think she's still alive. Anyway, to explain who Yoko Ono is you first have to know about The Beatles....".
So, with a few Youtube videos and some googling for pictures, I proceed to recount the story of John and Yoko. I tell him that all this happened around 40 years ago - before I was even born!
As we talk and check things out, Sam interjects here and there with other questions of great seriousness...
- On The Beatles and the fact that he knows several of their songs (Twist and Shout, Yellow Submarine....) - "Can we go see them at a concert?"
- When I'm explaining that the Beatles were one of the most popular bands in the world, wrote a lot of songs and made a lot of records - "What's a record?". Hmmmm....more google images.

Meanwhile, Graeme's four year old attention span requires him to wander away from our conversation and he's happily playing with his Star Wars guys in the corner.

I love this age. I love introducing the kids to old, classic songs and movies. In a few years, these things won't be cool anymore...It'll just be 'that old-people stuff that mom and dad like' - definitely not cool. Eventually they'll stop asking so many questions, because, by then, they'll know everything - right? In the meantime, they're like little sponges...

No comments: